Friday, September 20, 2013

Monarch butterflies

Hello, Friday! As we wrap up our third week of school, my class is also wrapping up our project on monarch butterflies. We had the "Monarchs without borders" kit from the Insectarium in Montréal. What an experience! This is my second time doing the project, and I highly reccommend it to any teachers who haven't tried it.

Not only did it tie nicely into our grade 2 curriculum (growth and changes in animals, and symmetry in math), but it was amazing to see children running into the classroom in the morning, eager to see any changes in the butterfly tent! 

Before I share some pictures of our experience, I also wanted to share a fun craft I tried with my kiddos. A word of warning though, it's a bit tricky for grade 2's to do on their own, so adult assistance is definitely required.

I found this neat idea through pinterest, coming from The Techy Teacher. My kids LOOOVED it! Click on the picture below to be taken to The Techy Teacher's blog post with instructions and a free printable!
caterpillar to butterfly art

And now, enjoy some pictures of our experience!
Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

~ B


1 comment: